Girl in the Machine
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Through a feminist lens.

I haven't always identified as a feminist. Due to a strong religious upbringing, I grew up with various and sundry biases that colored my view of the world. I went through an enlightenment period of sorts just a few years ago, and when my religion fell away it felt as if a blindfold had similarly dropped from my eyes. My everyday experiences were suddenly completely different to me, and I could see things that I'd been never even remotely aware of before. Specifically, I acquired a feminist lens.

"Lens" is a perfect word for it, too. Like a pair of brand spanking new glasses, my feminist lens brought so many things into focus -- things that had always been with me. Growing up, sexism bothered me in ways I could never quite describe, a niggling little feeling that made me ashamed of myself. I was a buzzkill for getting squicked out by the tits-and-ass depiction of Lara Croft; I was being too sensitive about the flying boobs and rampant panty shots in Dead or Alive. Discovering feminism and realizing that (lo and behold) women are people too gave me the tools to put a name to these worries.

Unfortunately, feeling oddly bothered by the sexism around me wasn't the only consequence of my biases. Oftentimes, I despised other women. Raised with a severe disdain for sexuality, I engaged in a fair amount of slut-shaming, seeing myself as better than those who "flaunted" their bodies. In video games, I couldn't stand female villains in particular, who more often than not acted as sultry temptresses instead of their kick-ass male counterparts. The blindfold was firmly in place.

Discovering feminism made sense of my conflicted feelings about women. I learned not to hate the women who were depicted in a sexist manner, but to analyze why such a thing had occurred in the first place and how I could fight it. I was able to fight through my own sexism and discover just how knowledge cripples ignorance. It's an experience I hope that many others can share.

Readers -- how has feminism changed your outlook on the world?

Labels: ,

 Posted by BomberGirl
 6:52 PM + Link to this post
  2 comments

 
About
Girl in the Machine
BomberGirl
Calabar
PlasmaRit

Latest Entries
Apologetic Heroines
A note from Bombergirl.
First Friday Drinking Game
Gender Switcheroo
No, not so peachy.
My Sims, My Choice
Coming Out of the Gaming Closet
Monster Mashup
Pwning n00bs for the Cure
The Ultimate Test, the Cruelest of All Trials

Tags
Action Adventure
Adventure
Body Language
BomberGirl
Calabar
Castlevania
Character Spotlight
Civilization
Elder Scrolls
Fatal Frame
Final Fantasy
Fighter
First Friday Drinking Game
FPS
Getting it Right
Guitar Hero
Half-Life
Harvest Moon
Indie
The Industry
In the News
Legend of Zelda
LGBT
Linkfest
Mario Bros.
Mass Effect
Metal Gear
Metroid
MMORPG
Motherhood
PlasmaRit
Platforming
Primal
Prince of Persia
Race Issues
RPG
RTS
Rule of Rose
Scale
Sexuality
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei
Silent Hill
The Sims
Star Fox
Stealth
Stereotypes
Street Fighter
Super Smash Bros.
Survival Horror
Tomb Raider
Turok
Video Game Movies
Violence
World of Warcraft

Archives
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008

Links
BlogHer
Cerise Magazine
The F-Word Blog
Finally, a Feminism 101 Blog Game Girl Advance
GayGamer.net
Iris Gaming Network
Killer Betties
New Game Plus
Penny Arcade
Racialicious
Shrub.com Blog
Under the Table Gaming
Women Gamers
Zone of the Gamers

Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox at a 1028 by 768 resolution.

Powered by Blogger

blogspot visit counter