Girl in the Machine
Friday, March 28, 2008
The Great Debate


I've always been a console kind of girl. While I have cheated with a fair collection of PC games, in the end I always find myself crawling back to my first love. Sure, there are lots of really great PC games out there, and it's not the games I have a problem with. It's the PC itself.

The biggest problem I have with PC games is compatibility. Having a three year-old laptop, it's simply not able to play a majority of the new games out today. I learned this the hard way when I received Neverwinter Nights 2 for Christmas two years ago--even with the graphics at their worst, the game was slow and jaggy as hell. It was pretty much impossible to play. Most new laptops are being created with a graphics card that is not compatible with Neverwinter Nights 2 as well as most games I already own, and if I want a Mac, I'll also have to kiss all my old games goodbye. Sure, I could always go with a desktop for ultimate PC gaming, but a travel-ready computer is vital, and I don't have the cash to have both, let alone a brand spanking-new laptop. I'm dreading the newest WoW graphics upgrade for fear it will render my account useless.

Consoles do not have this problem. Sure, the games are only compatible with the consoles they're made for, but you are guaranteed that they'll continue to work no matter how long you have the console. Plus, they're significantly cheaper than buying a souped-up desktop that needs to be updated every year. Games made for the Playstation 2 at the end of its life have breathtakingly beautiful graphics compared to the PS2's debut games with zero mandatory upgrades.

Of course, there are a few things PCs can do that I wish consoles could, the most important being patches. In a PC game, if a level's screwed up in any way, the company can release a patch to fix it. Patching also gives the players themselves the freedom of creating their own patches and mods that can transform a game from typical to sexy to completely insane. The gay bar mod for Oblivion is a great example of this. If a console game is glitched, however, you're pretty much screwed. Primal, unfortunately, has quite a few glitches that can make gameplay maddening; patching could have made it a much more enjoyable game. Now that newer consoles have internet access, I hope it's only a matter of time before developers create patches for their future games to solve this annoying problem.

There you have it: my completely biased ruling that console games are better than PC. What kind of games do you prefer, and why?

Labels:

 Posted by PlasmaRit
 12:51 PM + Link to this post
  2 comments

 
About
Girl in the Machine
BomberGirl
Calabar
PlasmaRit

Latest Entries
Zero Suit Scandal
Tempting the snake in the Garden of Eden.
First Friday Drinking Game: Saturday Edition!
A note from Bombergirl.
I Left my Heart in Nova Prospekt.
I Can End Discrimination
Two things about fighting games.
Turok's Gay Agenda
Underneath the surface.
Pseudoscience Strikes Again: It's Biological!

Tags
Action Adventure
Adventure
Body Language
BomberGirl
Calabar
Castlevania
Character Spotlight
Civilization
Elder Scrolls
Fatal Frame
Final Fantasy
Fighter
First Friday Drinking Game
FPS
Getting it Right
Guitar Hero
Half-Life
Harvest Moon
Indie
The Industry
In the News
Legend of Zelda
LGBT
Linkfest
Mario Bros.
Mass Effect
Metal Gear
Metroid
MMORPG
Motherhood
PlasmaRit
Platforming
Primal
Prince of Persia
Race Issues
RPG
RTS
Rule of Rose
Scale
Sexuality
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei
Silent Hill
The Sims
Star Fox
Stealth
Stereotypes
Street Fighter
Super Smash Bros.
Survival Horror
Tomb Raider
Turok
Video Game Movies
Violence
World of Warcraft

Archives
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008

Links
BlogHer
Cerise Magazine
The F-Word Blog
Finally, a Feminism 101 Blog Game Girl Advance
GayGamer.net
Iris Gaming Network
Killer Betties
New Game Plus
Penny Arcade
Racialicious
Shrub.com Blog
Under the Table Gaming
Women Gamers
Zone of the Gamers

Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox at a 1028 by 768 resolution.

Powered by Blogger

blogspot visit counter